"Twix" Bars

This bar was yummy.  Im not gonna say it tasted just like a Twix candy bar, but it was surprisingly close and delicious just the same.  I really liked the cookie base and you can't go wrong with chocolate.  The caramel was actually a lot like the caramel in a twix, but I can't say that I loved it 100%.  Im wondering if I should have cooked it longer...?  But even so, I would definitely make these again.  They were more like candy than a bar, so it was nice for a change of pace, since we very rarily buy candy.  I almost wonder if I like them better chilled, I will have to put one back in the fridge and test that.  Twix is one of my favorite candybars and I thought this was a pretty delicious knock off! :) 

"Twix" Bars  from coleens recipes

Crust:
1 cup cold butter
2 cups plus 2 T. flour
heaping 1/2 cup brown sugar

*Combine the flour and brown sugar.  Cut in the butter until combined and crumbly.  Press into a 9x13 pan that has been lined with parchment paper (or tin foil?)  with edges hanging over, for easy removal and cutting.

Filling:
3/4 cup butter
heaping 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 T. corn syrup
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

*Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 min. 
*Pour over the baked crust.  Place in the fridge until the caramel is firm to the touch.

*Melt 12 oz of chocolate with 1 tsp. of butter and spread over the caramel layer.  Allow to set (can speed the process by placing in the fridge or freezer.)

Comments

Popular Posts