Lazy Daisy Cake

 There are times when I want or need to make a dessert, but I struggle with what to make because I just get tired of the same old recipes, or nothing sounds good, or I just want to make a simple cake that doesnt require the making of frosting.  So sometimes I will make a recipe just to test it out for next time I need to bring dessert somewhere.  This cake is definitely going on my list of easy, quick and yummy desserts that are worthy of sharing with others.
It starts with a simple yellow cake.  While it cools a smidge you whip up the topping.
 The topping is spread on and ready to go.  Look how pale and blah it looks.
 But after a couple minutes under the broiler it transforms into golden, toasty, caramelly goodness.  Hmm...well it looks much more golden in real life.  Although next time I think I will leave it in a bit longer because the coconut that got a little crunchy was my favorite part.

Lazy Daisy Cake

cake
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 T. butter

topping
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup plus 2 T brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup coconut

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9 inch square baking pan.

*Beat eggs in a large bowl until frothy then add the sugar and beat on high until thickened and lemon colored.
*Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
*Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan until boiling then pour into the mix and beat to combine.
*Pour into prepared pan and bake about 30 min.
*Allow to cool on a rack about 10 min.

*Prepare the topping by melting the butter in a small saucepan then stir in the brown sugar, milk and coconut.
*Spread over the warm cake and place under the broiler for 2-3 min until it is golden and bubbling.

Comments

Popular Posts