Whole Wheat Dinner Muffins

 Sometimes I wish I had some sort of bread on hand to serve with dinner.  But because I either ran out of time, or more likely, was just too lazy, I usually don't get any made unless I really plan for it.  That's why this recipe intrigued me.  I am a huge procrastinator so this recipe suits me well since it needs very little forethought! 
I was a little skeptical that they would taste good.  I thought they were going to be dense and dry, but I was pleasantly surprised!  They were light, moist and quite delicious!  Thanks in huge part I imagine to the buttermilk, aiding in the tenderness, and the beaten egg whites, keeping things light and fluffy.  The little bit of cornmeal offered a bit of crunch and made the muffins taste a bit like whole wheat corn muffins.  I will be filing this one away for those "oh man what am I going to serve with dinner!?" moments. 

Whole Wheat Dinner Muffins  (from Mels Kitchen Cafe)
makes 16

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 T. cornmeal
6 T. brown sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs, seperated
6 T. butter, melted
2 cups buttermilk
4 T. sour cream

*In a large bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

*In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, melted butter, buttermilk and sour cream.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir just until combined being careful not to over mix, its okay if its a little lumpy. 

*Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.  Gently fold into the muffin mixture, once again being careful not to over mix.

*Fill the muffin cups (either greased pans or liners) nearly full.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 18-20 min.

My additional notes:
-I used white whole wheat flour
-I halved the recipe, filled the liners nearly full and still got 11 muffins!
-they were good with butter, but also good without, warm or at room temp

Comments

Popular Posts