Soft White Dinner Rolls

This past fall I told y'all that I was going to be working on improving my yeast bread skills. From a major lack of yeast bread posts lately, you probably thought that I had given up on that idea. Actually I have been making a lot of things, many different types of dinner rolls, a pudding-based cinnamon roll, and others. The problem wasn't in a lack of breads, but in a lack of pictures! I just couldn't seem to get pictures taken before everything was eaten! I know, pathetic excuse, but sadly true! But it's a different story with these soft white dinner rolls. I finally got to the camera before my family got the goods!!

And I am so glad I did because these babies are fantastic and really quite easy! They are extremely soft with a wonderful chewiness to them a delicious buttery taste! Yum! Try them, I dont think you will be disappointed! I've actually made them twice now and I'm sure I will make them again. I think the potato flakes, although a seemingly unusual ingredient, is a key factor in making them soft. All of the recipes I have tried this winter that called for potato flakes have turned out terrifically soft.

This is another fantastic recipe from King Arthur Flour.

Soft White Dinner Rolls

1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) dry active yeast
7/8- 1 1/8 cup lukewarm water (7-9 ounces)
3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 T sugar
6 T softened butter
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes

*Sprinkle a pinch of sugar into 2 T. of warm water, add the yeast and allow to proof until dissolved and bubbly, about 15 min.
*Combine the yeast mixture with all the other ingredients in your mixer bowl. Knead for about 5-7 min. in your mixer, with a dough hook, or a little longer if kneading by hand.
*Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, allow to double, about 1 hr.
*Punch down and turn dough out onto a very lightly greased surface. Divide into 16 equal parts.
*Take each piece and roll in a cupped hand on top of an ungreased and unfloured surface, keeping your pinky always in contact with the counter until you have a smooth ball.
*Place 8 rolls each in two lightly greased 9 or 8 inch round cake pans. (or make 15 rolls and place in a 9x13)
*Cover and allow to rise until they puff and touch eachother, about an hour (Im sorry Betsy!!)
*Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. Brush with melted butter immediately when after taking them out to create a soft top.

Comments

Popular Posts