Banana Bread... uh muffins... uh cupcakes...

The M-ster was helping me grocery shop a while back and, oops, dropped the bag of bananas. I couldnt exactly put them back and get new ones... so I thought, perfect! Banana bread! I love Banana Bread. Every time I make it I wonder I why I dont make it more often. The recipe I use is from my mom. I think she actually cut it out of a magazine years ago. Its the absolute best recipe ever. I promise, you will never even want to try another recipe after you try this one! Ooh, thats a big claim...
This time around I thought I would switch things up a bit and try making muffins out of this batter. But then when I piped a huge dollop of cream cheese frosting on top, Im pretty sure these went from breakfast food to dessert! They were definitely more like cupcakes than a quick bread.
Heres the M-ster mashing her bruised bananas (look at that furrowed brow, she is working so hard):
If you dont feel like this more decadent version of banana bread, try it the classic way in a loaf pan, you won't be disappointed!

Bay Street Inn Banana Bread

2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 c. milk

*Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan, or place paper liners in a muffin pan.
*Combine the flour, baking powder and soda and the salt in a small mixing bowl and set aside
*Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl
*Beat in the eggs one at a time. And then stir in the vanilla
*Stir in the flour mixture, alternately with the banana and milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture
*Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 10-12 min. for mini muffins, 18-20 min. for standard muffins, or 1 hr and 10 min. for a loaf. Cool the bread for 10 min. before removing from the pan.
-You can loosely cover the bread with foil if you feel it is browning too quickly


Comments

  1. Years ago I pulled the Bay Street Inn Banana Bread from what I think was a 1990 edition of Country Living magazine. I lost the recipe and have been heart broken. No other banana bread recipe I have made tastes as good. I have tried in vain for years to find that recipe.
    I made your recipe this morning and that is it!Thank you so much!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn- I'm so glad you found this recipe again! Yay! It is a great one isn't it? Thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my coveted banana bread recipe! I also found it from a magazine YEARS ago - 1990 sounds about right...i thought it was a southern living recipe though but it probably was Country Living. At one time, I had lost my copy I had typed (on a typewriter!) I searched everywhere, even contacted Southern Living about it...but they had no record of it. I eventually found my typed copy which I still use today. I search for it online periodically in hopes of finding this recipe in print someplace else just in case I loose it again (you think I would have it memorized by now!)And here it is! Every once in a while I will try a different banana bread and my husband will say...'this is not the Bay Street bread is it??' It's the one and only banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I have been looking for this recipe for a long time as well. Like your mom and other comment posters, I clipped the recipe for "Bay Street Inn Banana Bread" from a Family Circle magazine in late 1990 when I was in college the first time and missing my grandmother's home-made banana bread that followed a similar recipe. I remember it well because I used it a lot right after I got married in 1991 and my father-in-law and everyone else I made if for as a very young new bride said it was the best banana bread he'd ever tasted too which gave me confidence in the kitchen I needed to keep baking and quickly become the family favorite for desserts brought to gatherings with my large group of in-laws. The recipe was lost to me when my now long deceased husband cleaned out the kitchen drawer I kept it in- like others I was heartbroken and never found its equal. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!! My kids are almost all grown up now but I remember fun days in the kitchen with little ones. Happy baking and many blessings upon you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is THE banana bread recipe. I'm pretty sure it came from a 1988 issue of Family Circle Magazine that featured recipes from various B&B's- the only difference in the recipe I have been using for years is the addition of 1 cup of pecans into the batter. I started laying pecan halves on top, arranged in rows - makes a great looking bread! I have shared this recipe many, many times - thank you for putting it in an easy to find place!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts