Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake

I've never been one to deviate from a recipe. I would follow it to the T- being as precise as I could about my measurements. Well over the past few years I have learned to relax a little bit and am even willing to "change up" a recipe! And, hey, usually it works out just fine!

The hub-ster had the day off today so I thought it would be nice to make something special for breakfast. I kind of wanted to make cinnamon rolls, but I had just made them a couple weeks ago and really didnt have the energy to make them yesterday. So I thought maybe I could take my go-to coffee cake recipe (one from my mom's aunt) and use my cinnamon roll filling instead of the usual topping. I also made a few other tweaks to the recipe. I think it turned out pretty good.
Ready to go in the oven:
Look at those crevices!:
Frosted:
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. shortening
1 egg
2 T. sour cream
1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 T. softened butter
*Mix together the sugar, shortening and egg. Stir in the sourcream and milk. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then stir into the wet mixture.
*Mix together the topping ingredients.
*Grease and flour a tart pan, pie pan or 9x9. Spread 3/4 of the batter into the bottom of pan. Sprinkle 1/2 the topping mixture over the batter.
*Place the rest of the batter in dollops on top of the topping mixture. Top with the rest of the topping.
*Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 min. or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
*Let cool and drizzle with icing.
In a nutshell: Easy, quick and a never fail recipe. It tasted a lot like cinnamon rolls and is a nice alternative when you have the craving but not the time. I look forward to experimenting with other fillings and toppings. Let me know if you try any good variations.

Comments

  1. im sitting here with my mouth open, catching myself before i drool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing this, I've tried several recipes and have been disappointed, but I must say that this one is a true winner, easy to make and has a great taste. I will truly make again adding raisins and pecans. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts