Yogurt Cake


Here's the intriguing cake I promised you in my last post. Okay, so the ingredients are more intriguing than the taste of the cake itself. Yes, I was slightly dissapointed. The cake is a lot like a pound cake, just maybe "spongier"- almost wetter, if that makes sense. If you like pound cake, but arent too crazy about using so much butter, this may just be the cake for you.
People seem to fall into two categories when it comes to cakes. Those that like them made with butter and those that like them made with oil. I should have known that this one wouldnt be a favorite with me since I am definitely a butter girl! I am my dad's daughter afterall! :) Hi Dad!
I may not make this cake again because of the oil/butter preference, I think I will stick with my lemon pound cake. But it was fun to try with some different ingredients. And hey, if Im ever craving pound cake, but dont have those ingredients, this one would sure do the trick of satisfying me. And Deb, over at smittenkitchen, where I got this recipe, had some great variaton ideas. Like the simple idea of putting blueberries or other fruit in it or more interestingly, using lime instead of lemon and coconut oil instead of the olive oil. Hmm... I may have to try some of her ideas with my pound cake recipe.
Yogurt Cake (adapted from smittenkitchen)
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. plain yogurt
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. olive oil
1/3 c. lemon juice
*Combine the dry ingredients. Set aside.
*In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, zest, vanilla and oil.
*Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
*Place in a 9x5 loaf pan that has a piece of wax paper on the bottom and then greased and floured.
*Bake at 35o degrees for 50-60 min.
*Meanwhile in a saucepan, cook the lemon juice along with 1 T. of sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
*Cool in the pan for 10 min.
*Take the cake out of the pan and poke the top all over with a toothpick and then drizzle the lemon syrup all over the top and allow to soak in.
*Dust the top with powdered sugar or follow it up with a lemon glaze made of lemon juice and powdered sugar.
**So if anyone has an idea on why my blog posts hardly ever let me double space I'd love to hear your idea since I realize its probably annoying to read this as one whole paragraph!!

Comments

Popular Posts